Zesty Carrot Bisque
This soup is really easy to prepare. Since both carrots and celeriac cook quickly it can be ready to serve in just a half hour, start to finish! Lemon zest and ginger create wonderful undertones to this puréed carrot soup which is vibrant in both color and flavor!
- 8 c carrots scrubbed and chopped
- 2 medium celeriac peeled and chopped
- 3 medium apples peeled, seeds removed, and chopped
- 1 large red onion chopped
- 2 inch chunk ginger root chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme just the leaves
- 1 serrano pepper chopped
- 2 quarts vegetable stock (or water)
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1 lemon Zest half of it right in to the soup pot at the end. Then peel, and remove seeds.
- 2 T salt
Note: The whole soup will get puréed so you don’t have to chop everything too small. Cut the roots and apples in 1-inch chunks. Dice the onion, pepper, and ginger in 1/4 inch chunks.
Heat oil in the bottom of a heavy-walled soup pan. Add chopped onion, ginger, serrano pepper, and thyme. Sauté until onions are translucent. Add chunks of celeriac, apple, and carrot. Stir to coat in oil. Add stock (or water) to cover all. Boil until roots are soft, about 15 minutes. Add lemon zest. Add the peeled and deseeded lemon. Puree entire contents of soup pot in batches. Serve hot.
Garnish: shredded cheese.