Fluffy Frittata with Greens
A light, savory vegetarian option suitable for any time of day.
- 2 T olive oil or butter
- 1 small onion (red or white) thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic or garlic scapes finely chopped
- 2 cups greens (spinach, curly endive, escarole, baby kale, chard, or beet greens) chopped
- 8 eggs
- 4 T fresh herbs (parsley, basil, thyme, or oregano) chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cheese crumbled or grated feta, chevre, cheddar, or gruyere
- 2 T parmesan cheese grated
Heat the olive oil over low heat in a medium skillet with an ovenproof handle. Add the onion; cook slowly until the onions are soft but not browned. Then, add the chopped greens and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally and adjusting the heat if necessary until greens are tender and all the liquid has been cooked off, about 10 minutes.
Beat the eggs in a bowl with a fork. Stir in the herbs, salt and pepper, and grated or crumbled cheese.
Preheat the broiler.
Tip the egg mixture into the pan and cook gently stirring to mix all ingredients. Then, over medium-low heat, cook without stirring for 10 minutes. The eggs should begin to set, but they should still be moist. Remove the pan from heat and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top. Place the skillet under the broiler. Broil until the frittata is lightly browned on top and completely set, 1-2 minutes (check every 30 seconds to avoid browning). Remove skillet from the oven, cool briefly, and slice into wedges to serve.