White Bean and Garlic Scape Dip
White beans make an excellent substitute for garbanzo beans in a flavorful hummus. Our pale Hutterite soup beans, which are lime green in the bag but turn pale when cooked, and fresh garlic scapes make a delicious combination. Brighten the flavor even more by adding your choice of herbs (parsley, cilantro, or basil are good), or lemon zest to the lemon juice.
- 4 or 5 garlic scapes trimmed and chopped
- Juice of one lemon plus zest
- 2 cups cooked white beans (about ¾ cup dry) cooking water reserved
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or more to taste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a food processor or Cuisinart, pulse the scapes, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and optional herbs. Toss in the beans and olive oil and continue to pulse until you get a smooth consistency. You can add additional olive oil or some of the cooking water from the beans to thin out the spread to your liking. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve with cut vegetables, pita, crackers, or use as a spread on your favorite sandwich.