Shaved Fennel and Radish Salad with Celery
Our northern clime celery has a sturdiness and flavor totally unlike its mild, store-bought cousin. This cold salad is traditionally served alongside toasted bread topped with blue cheese. Try it with a grilled or baked pizza crust topped with your choice of cheese.
- 1 head celery well-cleaned
- 2 medium heads fennel fronds removed
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1/3 pound sugar snap peas stem and thread removed
- 2 bunches red radishes tops removed
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 large slices hearty bread or pizza dough
- 8 ounces Valdeon cheese or blue cheese of choice
- Slice celery, fennel and radish as thinly as possible.
- Cut scallions and snap peas on a bias (on an angle), ¼ inch wide. Toss all vegetables together in large bowl.
- Grate or press the garlic, then mix it with olive oil and lemon to make dressing. Toss with vegetables and add salt and pepper to taste. Let stand while you prepare your bread.
- Toast the bread or bake or grill your pizza dough. Top with cheese while warm.
- Toss salad well and serve alongside bread or flatbread, topped with fennel fronds.
Adapted from a recipe in Prune by Gabrielle Hamilton