Fennel, Bean, and Pasta Salad
We love delicious and flavorful salads like this one that can be a quick lunch or light dinner. Also, great for potlucks as the recipe can be increased. Crisp, fresh fennel and earthy kidney beans are a great combination!
- 1 bulb fennel Thinly slice bulb and stems. Remove leaves and set aside.
- 1/2 bunch garlic scapes (3-4 stems), or use a medium onion, or scallions
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups kidney beans cooked
- 2-3 cups pasta cooked to preference
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- While the pasta is cooking, thinly slice the fennel bulb and stems; chop the leaves and set those aside.
- Finely dice garlic scapes, removing any stringy or woody parts.
- Sauté fennel (not leaves) and scapes in olive oil on medium heat for 5 minutes, until softened. Stir often so that it does not burn.
- Add the sautéed mixture, chopped fennel tops, and kidney beans to the cooked and strained pasta. Season with the salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Serve chilled.
In advance Cook the kidney beans. Here’s a tip on cooking our dry beans.