This salad makes an elegant first course for a dinner party, or enjoy it by yourself for a delicious lunch.
- 1/2 cup walnut halves
- 1T unsalted butter
- 1T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large leeks, including white and pale green parts well washed, sliced
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2T good quality balsamic vinegar
- 2 ripe pears cored, sliced
- 4 oz your choice cheese chevre, parmesan, mild blues
Toast the walnuts in a dry heavy skillet until light brown and fragrant. Transfer to plate, let cool, then chop.
Heat the butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil to large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the leeks; cook, stirring occasionally until they are a deep golden color, about 30-40 minutes. Meanwhile, toss the greens in a large bowl, season with salt and pepper. Add the balsamic vinegar and the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, toss well.
Divide the greens to 4 plates; sprinkle with the leeks and toasted walnuts. Arrange the pear slices on top of leeks and sprinkle with cheese.
Courtesy of Angelic Organic Kitchen