Caramelized Leek Salad with Pear and Toasted Walnuts
This salad makes an elegant first course for a dinner party, or enjoy it by yourself for a delicious lunch.
- 1/2 cup walnut halves
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large leeks, including white and pale green parts well washed, sliced
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- black pepper freshly ground
- 1 1/2 Tbsp good quality balsamic vinegar
- 2 ripe pears cored, sliced
- 4 oz your choice of cheese chevre, parmesan, mild blues
Toast the walnuts in a dry, heavy skillet until light brown and fragrant. Transfer to plate, let cool, then chop.
Heat the butter and 1 Tbsp olive oil in large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring occasionally until they are a deep golden color, about 30-40 minutes. Meanwhile, toss the greens in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the balsamic vinegar and remaining 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Toss well.
Divide the greens between 4 plates. Top with the caramelized leeks and toasted walnuts. Arrange the pear slices on top and sprinkle with cheese.
Courtesy of Angelic Organic Kitchen