Swiss Chard Tart
Nothing tastes and smells better than a warm tart right out of the oven! If you get this in the oven just before your guest arrive, everyone will sit down to dinner after a bit of visiting with their appetites fully awakened. A light salad to accompany and you’ve got a lovely summer dinner.
- 9-in tart shell partially cooked
- 1/2 cup onion or scallions thinly sliced
- 1 lb ricotta
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- dash nutmeg
- 1 lb swiss chard stems removed and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 lg eggs (local and organic!)
- 1/2 cup your favorite cheese grated
Preheat oven to 350°F. Sauté onions in butter until transparent. Add well-drained greens and sauté until wilted and barely tender. Let cool slightly. Beat eggs in a large bowl and mix in ricotta, grated cheese, nutmeg, salt, and flour. Fold in sautéed greens. Pour into tart shell. Top with additional grated cheese, if desired. Bake for 45 minutes at 350°F. Serve warm.