Sauteed Greens, Italian Style
Here’s another take on our basic greens recipe. Try the variations at the bottom, too.
- 1 bunch greens (collards, kale, chard, endive, etc...)
- salted water for steaming if necessary
- 2-3 Tbsp good quality olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes plus to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
If necessary, steam greens in salted water, then drain and shock in an ice bath to stop the cooking and bring out their bright green color. Drain well and coarsely chop.
Heat garlic and red pepper flakes in oil over medium heat until edges have just started to turn gold, then add the greens. Stir and saute for 30 seconds more, uncovered.
Add slivered onions, half moons of zucchini, or sweet red pepper to the mix Top sauteed greens with chopped anchovy or grated parmesan cheese Add a mix of fresh herbs (rosemary, English thyme, oregano) to the skillet with the garlic.