Geotextiles: Typar Field Blankets
Typar is a garden cover that is thicker than row cover. Typar is durable and is made from spun-bonded polypropelene fabric. It transmits 70% of light.
Typar is most often used in the spring for frost protection over large areas of the field, especially for germination crops. It protects crops down to 26 degrees F. Because the material is so thick, the cover may need to be removed everyday in the spring, preventing overheating of the crop and soil. Excellent for overwintering strawberries, lettuce, spinach, etc.
How to Install
- Prepare the bed as normal.
- Typar is laid directly on the soil. Make sure to provide enough slack in the cover for the crop to grow and do not pull the cover taught.
- Make sure to seal the edges of the Typar with sandbags, soil or with row cover pins.
- Remove the cover for pollination, weeding, harvest, or when the crop is finished.
Here are some of the advantages you can expect:
- Earlier harvests and higher yields because there is frost protection, an increase in soil temperature and decreased pest pressure.
- Pests are reduced as there is a physical barrier around the crop. This physical barrier method also helps break the cycle of pest infestation, reducing the number of pest breakouts even into the next season.
- Diseases are reduced. Because there is a decrease is pests, there is also a decrease in the diseases these pests carry.
- Microclimate. Typar cover creates a microclimate on the bed covered, with a specific humidity and temperature.
- Reusable. Typar row cover is durable and can be used for multiple seasons.
Here are some disadvantages to consider:
- Increased cost. There are initial costs in installing typar row cover. However, since the cover is reusable, these costs may be lower than using conventional insecticides.
- Installation, removal and disposal. Installing typar row cover can be timely. Additionally, it needs to be removed for weeding, harvest and at the end of the crop’s lifecycle. After the cover is worn out, it needs to be disposed of or used for other purposes.
- Significant heat will build inside the typar row cover since it is so think so there may be a need for increase in irrigation. Because it is so think, the typar may need to be moved on and oﬀ the crop throughout the spring.
- Degradation. Because typar row cover is made of fabric, it will degrade over time with use and exposure to sun and wind.
- Timing is important when using typar row cover. If the row cover is installed after an infestation, even if the infestation is not visible, the cover will not solve any pest problems. Pay close attention to your crop, scouting for any signs of bug presence before taking any pest control measures.
- Heavy. Since typar row cover has strong frost protection abilities, it is heavy in storage and difficult to maneuver.
Where To Buy
Typar row cover is available from many garden suppliers. Try Johnny’s Selected Seeds.