Annual and Perennial Department Manager
Full Time, Year Round
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Annual and Perennial manager is responsible for all stages of planning and implementing our annual and perennial department growing environments at Cedar Circle including propagation areas, greenhouses, garden retail area, outdoor cut flower garden and perennial nursery. You will be responsible for planning, ordering, record keeping, and hiring and training a team to implement the department’s seasonal plans. You will be excited about developing educational opportunities and finding creative ways to connect visitors to the land and food production systems. By working closely with our retail, education and marketing staff, you will ensure that our visitors are provided with top notch customer service and educated about the products and systems at CCFEC.
- Oversee all production of Annuals, Perennials and Cut Flower Garden to include seeding, potting, watering, fertilizing, and monitoring of greenhouse temperatures and systems
- Hire, train and supervise a seasonal team to accomplish all department goals
- Staff scheduling, project/ task coordination and quality control
- Review and analyze sales data from previous year and adjust orders and cropping plans accordingly
- Order all plants, seeds, pottery, garden tools, and supplies needed including receiving orders, unpackaging, displaying, and pricing
- Keep greenhouses in working order, including watering and fertilization systems, the physical function of greenhouses, coordinating efforts with Operations Manager
- Maintain all retail areas during 8 month sales season including creating and maintaining aesthetically pleasing displays
- Oversee customer service for all Annual and Perennial department sales
- Coordinate and implement with your team all aspects of the cut flower garden including planning, field preparation, planting, weeding, irrigating, and fertility management.
- Organize cut flower CSA, PYO and bulk flower operations including customer coordination, maintaining order records, staffing harvest days and organizing delivery
- Enter and price all department products into the Revel System (our POS) so that sales can be tracked and create barcode labels for all plants to be sold
- Research and create informative point of purchase signage for all annual, vegetable and perennial plants
- Department budget development and review in conjunction with Director of Agriculture
- Pest management through detailed scouting and implementation of organic pest and disease control methods
- Work with marketing and retail staff to promote products
- Work with Education Manager to develop educational opportunities for our customers and find creative ways to engage the public with our local food system and our farming practices
- Research and plan field maps, charts and seeding plans to adjust our offerings to suit the organizational and customer needs
Farm Team Responsibilities
- Proactively communicate workload and equipment needs with other departments
- Participate in planning and development throughout the season with CCFEC team
- Support other departments as needed
- Maintain records for compliance with USDA organic certification requirements
- Maintain a smooth, timely flow with team members while working through projects
- Make sound judgment calls on project implementation and time management
- Participate in educational activities or events as required and pre-arranged by Education Program Manager
- Ability to contribute to a positive, meaningful work experience for your team and all co-workers
- At least two seasons previous greenhouse growing & plant propagation experience and two season of outdoor garden/ flower garden/ nursery experience
- Comfortable developing and leading workshops and training opportunities
- Knowledge of regenerative agriculture and passion for growing native, medicinal, edible and/or pollinator plants
- Knowledge of and experience with pest scouting, IPM, and organic pest control
- Previous experience managing a seasonal team or business prefered
- Excellent time management skills and consistent attention to detail
- Positive, energetic interpersonal skills and clear consistent communication skills
- Ability to take direction, ask for help/clarity, and give/accept constructive feedback
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Flexible, creative, and able to perform well in diverse conditions and under pressure
- Hands on manager with ability to work for long durations in inclement weather – standing, sitting, bending over, lifting and kneeling
This is a full time year-round position. The Annual and Perennial Manager is an hourly position with benefits including sick time accrual, health insurance contributions, fresh produce, and discount to our farm stand. Salary starts at $21/hour plus, DOE.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references through our employment application (click the “Apply Now” button below) or email application materials to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Cedar Circle Farm is an EEO/AA employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Due to the volume of applications that we receive, we are not able to reply to every applicant individually. We will be in touch via e-mail if we are interested in scheduling an interview with you.