Summer Camp Lead Instructor
Full-time (40-45 hours per week), seasonal
June 19 - August 18, 2023
About Summer Camp at Cedar Circle Farm
Cedar Circle Farm is hosting our eighth year of our unique farm-based summer program for kids ages 6-11! There are eight individual weeks of camp scheduled from June 26-August 18, Monday through Friday, with a mandatory staff training session June 19-23. The camp day is 9 am-4 pm, and staff time on the farm will usually be 8:00-4:30. We will have a capacity of 30 campers each week, and Lead Instructors will guide a group of about 10 campers during camp activities and farm explorations. Support Instructors will float between groups and activities, to assist Lead Instructors where support is most needed throughout the day. In any given week, the camp program may also include Teen Counselors and adult volunteers.
About the Position
The Summer Camp Lead Instructor role is for experienced educators looking to expand their skills in leading groups of children outdoors and to mentor Support Instructors and Teen Counselors. Together, our staff work to build a safe environment for learning and fun, and make meaningful relationships with our campers. If you are creative, inclusive, willing to be silly, and passionate about food, gardening, and nature, then we want to hear from you!
To view and download the full job description as a PDF, click here.
- Facilitate programs designed to encourage campers’ connection to nature, food, and each other through exploration of Cedar Circle Farm
- Directly supervise our campers, including managing groups and resolving conflicts
- Prioritize physical and emotional safety of campers on a working farm
- Collaborate with other staff to create weekly schedule and curriculum that are age-appropriate, diverse, and represent our educational goals
- Participate in daily debrief meetings to share ideas and improve our program
- Interact with parents and caregivers of campers
- Mentor and delegate tasks to Support Instructors and Teen Counselors
- Aid in preparation and clean up of all aspects of camp programming
- Complete other duties as assigned
- Experience working as an educator, such as an outdoor educator or classroom teacher
- Enthusiasm for experiential, place-based, inclusive education
- Interest in food, gardening, and nature
- The physical and mental ability to care for kids outdoors in all types of weather
- CPR and First Aid Certification (we’ll provide certification if you don’t have it)
Hourly rate starts at $16 per hour, with an increase for returning staff. Benefits include access to farm produce and 20% off at the farmstand and cafe.
We are hiring 3 Lead Instructors for the 2023 season. Interested candidates should submit an employment application or send a cover letter and resume to Nora Seymour at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline to apply is February 15th, 2023.
Cedar Circle Farm is an EEO/AA employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Due to the volume of applications that we receive, we are not able to reply to every applicant individually. We will be in touch via e-mail if we are interested in scheduling an interview with you.