Cat guides the summer school students through making this pesto every summer at the Thetford Elementary School Gardens. The students and teachers love it!
- 1 cup, lightly packed fresh nasturtium flowers with stem
- 1/2 cup, lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup (about a dozen full leaves) chives
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 clove garlic minced, or 4 garlic scapes
- enough water to thin to a spreadable consistency
Wash all herbs. Pack all ingredients into a food processor. Process until consistency is like a spread. Slowly add up to 1/4 cup water to thin out, if necessary.
photos: CCF staff