- 3 c butternut squash cubed to about an inch
- 1 med yellow onion chopped
- 3 med parsnips chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 qt vegetable stock the best is homemade
- 1 1/2 c unsweetened soymilk (or milk)
- 2 T tamari or soy sauce
- 1 t nutmeg ground
- garnish spiced pumpkin seeds try making your own!
- to taste pepper and salt freshly ground
Combine squash, parsnips, onions, and garlic in a large pot and add vegetable stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer, cover, and cook until vegetables are soft, about 30 minutes. Stir in soymilk (or milk) and tamari. In batches, purée until smooth.
Recombine puréed mixture back into stock pot and heat on low. Stir to keep from scalding. Add nutmeg and season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with Spiced Pumpkin Seeds. Serve warm.